Men…sit down…buckle-up…strap-in or do whatever you can to brace yourself. In true Uncommen form, we touch on topics that make many uncomfortable. Today we are talking about Menopause! My wife is going through menopause and here’s what I learned.
Genesis 18: 11 — “Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah.”
Your wife may be past this phase of life, or your wife may not even be near it. To the first group, God bless you, and to the second group, I wish you well. For those of us with wives just entering or in full swing, all I can say is…Godspeed!
I’m having a bit of fun with you as I know every guy reading this is probably saying, “I don’t want to read about this stuff.” Trust me…you do, and your wife will appreciate you knowing a bit about it.
So what is Menopause?
Menopause is a standard time in a woman’s life when her ovaries begin to shut down the production of the hormones estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone.
Symptoms of Menopause
- Hot flashes (approximately 75 percent of women will experience these)
- Sweating, especially at night
- Sleep disturbances
- Mood swings, including depression, altered self-esteem, and anger
- Low frustration tolerance
- Vaginal dryness, which can cause discomfort with urination and intercourse
- Forgetfulness or alteration of short-term memory
- Difficulty concentrating, and
- Thinning of hair on the head
- Some hair growth on the face, arms, chest, or abdomen
What your wife wants you to know about Menopause
- Be prepared for the long haul (Between pre-menopause and Menopause, it could be five years)
- It’s not something you “go through” (you both will feel the effects of this time in her life)
- Every woman experiences Menopause differently (so be flexible, men)
- It’s not always better than a period (I’ve heard it described as if Dementia and Puberty had a kid)
- There will be physical changes that can be hard to handle (Watch what you say, men)
- PMS doesn’t always go away
- There will be shifting (Repeat after me – I love you, and I’m here for you when you need me)
- Hitting the gym or less indulging is essential
My Wife is Going Through Menopause – Here’s What To Do
- Understand that the mood swings are not aimed at you (treat her to a spa day or watch her favorite movie)
- When it comes to sex, her body is changing, and her body image and sex drive along with it.
- When it comes to her body, let her know your body is changing too. Age affects us all, and that she’s not alone in this.
- When it comes to self-confidence, encourage her if she wants to work out and support her if she wants a meal. Let her know she is beautiful because she is.
For more reading materials on My Wife is Going Through Menopause, see below: