Question: What do you do to train yourself for unexpected battles as a Dad?
You can’t win a fight you don’t know you’re in!
If you have children, you have probably run across the book “What to expect when you’re expecting.” There is a lot of planning and preparation leading up to the birth of your child. The preparation is the easy part, though. Once they’re born, you are on call 24/7.
Each phase of your child’s development will come with its own challenges. Small children, small problems. Large children, large problems.
- Ephesians 6: 10-18
- Belt of Truth
- Breastplate of righteousness
- Shoes / Gospel of peace
- Shield of Faith
- Helmet of Salvation
- Sword of the Spirit
Dads: Let’s define your battleground
- Role model – They will mimic what they see and hear.
- Communication – You will find that communication needs to change as often as your child changes. Learn how to listen and speak effectively.
- Encouragement – There will be times when you need to encourage your child as they go through a rough patch, school, peers, dating, etc.
- Providing – Don’t just throw money at them. Invest time as well.
- Love – Love them unconditionally. Also, provide tough love when needed.
- Protection – Your children need to know they can trust you.
- Consistency – While you may grow as a person, being consistent in your walk with Christ, your communication style, temperament, etc., will benefit you and your child’s relationship.
Dads: Let’s get you equipped
- Prayer – Let’s start off with our best weapon: communication with God about our situation.
- God’s Word – Read God’s word daily to understand God and identify the enemy.
- Platoon – Surround yourself with Godly people who will pray, serve and fight alongside you when needed.
- Battleplan – Know that you’re going to be in a battle—plan on how you will fight.
Truth & Grace
There will be a fight, and the enemy won’t fight fair. He’s going to target your children…what are you going to do about it?
Ephesians 6:11 – “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.”
I challenge both you and me to spend time in God’s Word and pray for preparation for upcoming battles.